How to Identify and Remove Fireplace Mold

Fireplaces add character, ambiance, and warmth to a home. However, if not properly maintained, they can become the perfect breeding ground for mold. There are a few ways to identify whether your fireplace is harboring any unwelcome guests and how to eliminate them. Let’s take a look at what you need to know about fireplace mold.

What Causes Fireplace Mold?

The most common cause of mold in fireplaces is excessive moisture. This could be caused by anything from poor ventilation in the chimney, water damage from a leaking roof, or something as simple as not cleaning out your fireplace regularly enough. All of these issues can allow moisture to seep into the brickwork of your fireplace and create an ideal environment for mold growth.

How Do I Tell If I Have Fireplace Mold?

Mold often appears as grey or black spots on the bricks of your fireplace. It can also appear discolored or fuzzy. If you’re still unsure if you have mold or not, you can always contact a professional mold remediator who will be able to come to your house and test for mold spores with specialized equipment.

Removing Fireplace Mold

If you’ve identified that you do have fireplace mold, it’s time to get rid of it! The first step is to clean out any soot or debris that has built up in the fireplace—this will help prevent further mold growth. Then you should mix one part bleach with ten parts water in a spray bottle and spray the area completely with this solution (you may need more than one bottle). Leave the bleach solution on for several hours before scrubbing away at the affected area with steel wool and rinsing off all remaining residue with warm water. Be sure to wear protective gear such as gloves, goggles, and a face mask when doing this! After everything has been cleaned up and dried off completely (which may take several days), it’s important that you inspect the area regularly for signs of new growth, as this will indicate whether or not your cleanup efforts were effective.


Mold in fireplaces is often caused by improper maintenance or excessive moisture—but it doesn’t have to stay there! With some TLC (and maybe even some professional help), you can eliminate any unwanted visitors from your hearth quickly and efficiently. So keep an eye out for those telltale signs of mold growth and don’t hesitate to call in reinforcements if necessary; after all, keeping your home safe from unwanted visitors should always be top priority!

Schedule a Consultation with Giordano Restoration Today!

Are you dealing with water damage, fire damage, or mold growth in your property? Don't wait any longer! Trust the experts at Giordano Restoration to restore your property to its pre-damage condition. Our experienced team is here to help you every step of the way.


Customer testimonials

I had a devastating fire in my home, which led to extensive water and mold damage. Gary and his crew were so polite and professional. They took great care in cleaning and packing my possessions in an orderly way. They compiled an easy to follow inventory, cataloging everything and providing a detailed list of all of the contents of my home. When I was able to move back into my house, all of my belongings were returned to their proper places. Gary always worked in my best interest and it was wonderful to feel like he was an ally to me during this extremely difficult time in my life. I would recommend Giordano Restoration to anyone who is faced with a disaster in their home.

Rita V.

Hot water heater filled our basement a couple weeks before Christmas.  Giordano Restoration was fast, informative and professional.  Amazing staff.  I 100% recommend Giordano Restoration.

Vali Troxell

I highly recommend Gary and his team for any mold and/or water damage. They are top notch. Very professional and SO thorough and clean!  They pack everything thing up, move it out and unpack just it was prior to the loss. I would definitely utilize his services again if need be.

Joan Green

Gary was fantastic throughout the whole process. Very timely at responding and explains everything in detail so as a consumer you know what’s happening next. His knowledge of mold remediation is unparallel to anyone in the business. Very professional and as a real estate agent felt completely at ease and comfortable with Gary. I have the absolute trust in him and I highly recommend him to any and all of my clients.

Scott Pellerin